Firefighter Training Episode 046 about setting goals to becoming a better firefighter and becoming more successful in your personal life.
Listen in to this firefighter training podcast and learn:
- The importance of setting goals in achieving personal success.
- Some tips and how-tos on how to set effective goals.
- Studies on how writing down goals can get you closer to achieving them.
We want to be great firefighters. We want to take our skills to the next level. How? In this firefighter training episode, David Soler teaches us about the one thing we have to do to start moving forward: Set Goals.
He discusses why you should:
- Know where you are in your career and know where you’re going.
- Say “yes” or “no” to certain things based on how it will help you achieve your goals.
- Write down your goals. Keep your eye on the prize.
- Set SMART goals
- Come up with specific goals using the three Ws: What, Why, Who?
- Break down your plan and focus on one thing at a time.
- Have an accountability partner
Intro by Ryan Pennington of Views from the Jumpseat
About David Soler:
David is the Founder and Publisher of FirefighterToolbox which is on a Mission to build better firefighters and better leaders in the fire service.
He is also the host of the iTunes Top Rated Firefighter Training Podcast called FirefighterToolbox Podcast where he has interviewed legends of the fire service like Chief Brunacini, FDIC Chief Halton, Chief Rubin, NFA Administrator Dr Oneial, Army Chief of Fire Training Robert Simmons and so many more.
Capt David Soler is a 2nd generation firefighter and has over 20 years in the fire service and has been both a career and volunteer firefighter. He has been a firefighter in several states including New York, New Jersey, Ohio, and Maryland. As a Captain he has lead company turn arounds in taken low responding, low motivated fire companies and led them into highly motivated, top responding fire companies.
About the Firefighter Toolbox Podcast/Internet Radio Show
The Firefighter Toolbox Podcast/Internet Radio Show is an audio program for up and coming firefighters and leaders who want to become better at the ever evolving skill of firefighting and to continue growing into a better leader. We interview great firefighters, officers, and other authorities inside and outside of the fire service who bring great ideas, insights, and information to share with us so we can take our skills to the next level.
About The Game “Are You Smarter Than A Probie?”
David Soler and Firefighter Toolbox are also the creators of the “Are You Smarter Than A Probie?” game show. Listen in weekly as brave firefighters compete to answer 5 FFI/FFII questions on the hot seat and prove they are smarter than a probie. New episodes every Tuesday. (Most listen to it on the commute to work, working out, doing chores or as a company training.) To learn more about the show– Click Here —–
Additional Studies about Setting and Writing Down Goals
- Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success
- Harvard and Yale study on the effectiveness of writing down goals – click here
Please provide an iTunes rating – Click Here
Listen to More Episodes – Click Here
Get the Podcast on your Phone – Click Here